Tuesday, December 14, 2010

July 1936: More Fun Comics #12

Cover by Vin Sullivan

Both More Fun Comics and New Comics have been touting how 'easy on the eyes' they are lately, with their large size and big print and such.  I ought to inform them that this is not the case when their comics are read with a blurry scan on a monitor screen.

There's not much to talk about this month.  There's a new strip called 'Pep Morgan' by Creig Flessel, which is about a guy who has never played baseball being inexplicably great at baseball.  I see that there was another one called 'Pirate Gold' by Sven Elven, but that was about the point that I was falling asleep, so I don't remember it much.

The text pieces have really been pared down by this point.  We're left with a section on movies (or 'talkies') and another on magic tricks.  No more stamps, no more planes, not even the section on books.  And most surprisingly, the short stories have been scrapped.  To be honest, I'd take them over the movies and magic.

'Doctor Occult' (by Siegel and Shuster) is still investigating werewolves, and this month he finds a whole boarding house full of the suckers.  I don't know how he's going to get out of it, but this being the Golden Age I suspect that he's going to punch something.

No comments:

Post a Comment