Thursday, December 9, 2010

February 1936: More Fun Comics #9

Cover by Vin Sullivan
 
I had a moment of dread when I saw that the page count had increased, but it's actually a big improvement.  Rather than adding a bunch of new strips to fill the pages, the existing strips have been expanded and are all the better for it.  This seems to have resulted in lowering the number of text pages, and for that I am thankful.  Not that I read them for this issue - I had a blurry scan, so I skipped them rather than explode my eyeballs trying to decipher them.

Remember how I said the 'Super-Police' strip was crazy and full of pseudo-science?  Now it's settled down into yet another banal adventure strip.  This one had two of the characters going through a cave with a flashlight, which is hardly the stuff of legend.

'Doctor Occult' (by Siegel and Shuster) is back this month, but wouldn't you know it, the one strip I really want to follow carefully and it was too blurry to read.  From what I could gather, the Vampire Master was using a machine to create monsters from his imagination.  Then one of them killed him for reasons I can't figure out, and Occult and his buddies ran out of the base before it exploded.  Crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment