Tuesday, March 15, 2011

July 1938: More Fun Comics #34

Cover by Vin Sullivan

There's very little of note going on in this issue.  But a look at http://www.comics.org/ tells me that Stan Aschmeier, not Bob Kane as credited, is the penciller of 'Marg'ry Daw'.  I find it pretty amazing that even this early in his career Bob Kane is using ghosts and taking the credit.  I figured he wouldn't start that nonsense until Batman had blown up, but I guess not.

'Cap'n Jerry' makes its last appearance, and I honestly can't remember a thing that happened in it.  The aforementioned http://www.comics.org/ can't even tell me who created the thing, which shows you how significant it was.

'Wing Brady' (by Tom Hickey) starts a new story.  Wing and Frenchy have just spent three years in the French Foreign Legion's toughest prison between strips.  After one of their friends was murdered by other members of the Legion, they got in a fight and ended up being locked away.  And now, they're back for revenge!  It's a strong set-up.  And Frenchy continues with his new defining character trait of being a hot-headed drunk.  The only problem with this strip is that it ends on a cliffhanger threatening Wing's life: in a flashback!  Gee whiz, I wonder if he'll get out of this one!

It seems to me that the number of strips in More Fun Comics and New Adventure Comics is getting down to a tolerable level, so I'm going to start covering them in a more comprehensive fashion.  Because, you know, I don't have enough on my plate as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment